This post may contain affiliate links. These links provide a means for me to earn income, at no cost to yourself. Read the full disclosure here
First post and first easy seitan recipe!
To start off, this recipe is for a roughly 2 lb loaf of Seitan. I made it in a 2 lb breadmaker, a Panasonic SD-200 Bread Bakery, but any 2 lb breadmaker should work. I used the default settings for a 2 lb White Loaf of bread. The black pepper loaf is suitable for any recipes that call for beef in a 1-1 ratio, and is also good sliced deli-thin in sandwiches.
The best part of this recipe, in my oh so humble opinion, is how little effort it requires. I generally start a loaf before I go to bed or before I head to work, so the next time I’m in the kitchen I have a fresh loaf ready to be made into my next meal.
Black Pepper Seitan Recipe
Black Pepper Seitan
- Food Processor (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Canola Oil
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
- 2 tsp 1.5 g, Iodized Free Flowing Salt
- 2 ¼ cup Vital Wheat Gluten I use Honeyville brand
- ¼ Cup Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Tbso Almond Cashew Milk
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic Or ½ Tbsp Garlic Powder
- ½ Yellow Onion Or 2 Tbsp Dried Minced Onions
- 2 ½ cup Water
- Add the water and flaxseed meal to the automatic breadmaker.
- Add in the vital wheat gluten, salt, black pepper, and nutritional yeast.
- (Optional) If you don't have a food processor or want to make it easier, substitute ½ Tbsp Garlic Powder and 2 Tbsp Dried Minced Onion for the fresh and skip to step 7.
- Take your onion, and stick it in a food processor. Process it until it is very fine, and then dump the processed onion into a cheesecloth or washcloth over the sink.
- Wrap the processed onion in the cheesecloth or washcloth, and wring it out to squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the onion.
- Finely mince the garlic.
- Add the garlic, onion, coconut oil, canola oil, almond cashew milk, liquid aminos, and white miso (if using).
- Set it to bake a white loaf of bread, on most machines this will take 3-4 hours.
- When the breadmaker finishes, DO NOT OPEN THE LID. Your black pepper loaf needs to sit in the breadmaker for another 2 hours while it finishes cooking. I have left it up to 4-5 hours after it finished, and then it was still hot when I took it out.